Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Tsunami Warning

There was a tsunami warning yesterday morning after an earthquake in the sea near Samoa, which was absolutely terrifying until it was called off about an hour after I found out about it. The earthquake measured an 8.3 on the Richter scale, which is pretty high, but Samoa is over 2,600 miles away from here so by the time the waves had travelled that far they weren't high enough to engulf the city - thank god!

We have been looking around at different restaurants to go to on Saturday, and there is an upmarket-y Chinese place round the corner which looks nice. No matter what we do I am getting white chocolate raspberry cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory! Mmmmmm.

Everything is fine... quizzes and tests and essays begin next week, so things will be getting harder. I had a terrible headache after the tsunami warning yesterday so missed a class for the very first time - considering that it is week 4 of term, I'm quite impressed. Tom is spending a lot of time reading the news and sharing it with me, which is intermittently irritating =) We are considering

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this but Lloyds are being terrible - we've gotten through to them twice now, and both times their system has been down, and we have wasted over forty minutes of our calling card on trying to transfer money from England to Hawaii and not being able to. I did get through to them a third time, but the robot warned me that the queues were upwards of 10 minutes, so we gave up. I'm not really sure what to do - I suppose we'll keep calling and asking them to check if their system is working before we go through the whole payment process. Argh!

2 comments:

  1. I panicked too. We were very lucky the Tsunami didn't hit Hawaii. I feel sad for those poor people in Samoa. Why don't you email someone in a position of power at Lloyds to explain your predicament and see how they can help you. Love Mum x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't hold your breath where Lloyds are concerned - they are all a bunch of incompetents and whilst one person answers you one way the rest answer a dozen different ways. Love Rachel
    xxx

    ReplyDelete