Thursday, September 10, 2009

Second day of class

Was, for me, a bit of a crap day all round! At least Tom's was better =) He didn't even have any classes.

Actually, first thing in the morning we went to Walmart and bought stuff to do laundry!

I went to my first English class and the bus was impressively slow - to be fair there was traffic - but it took 35 minutes to do a 15/20 minute journey, which meant that I ended up being five minutes late for class. Then the teacher had the STRANGEST voice ever - it was both high and hoarse, and she slurred. My first thought was "I can't stand this for the next three and a half months, I have to switch out," especially once she said that more than five absences and you would fail the course! However, she did seem quite nice, if off the wall (so many of them are) and displeasingly willing to show most of the class her knickers, so I reconsidered... until the end of class, when I went up to her to say that I can't afford the books and would be relying on the library and photocopies of other students' books, and she was extremely rude. She actually said "I don't know why you're in university if you can't afford the textbooks."

So I went to Academic Advising and changed into ENG3251 - no more Representations of Pacific Life, hello Sex, Power and Narrative! This course looks far more interesting anyway. I have my first one tomorrow morning and am going in to meet the teacher just before my history classes today, so I can pick up a handout to read. I am going to have to spend $10 on a book though, which is not very good, but there you go.

After class I went to my Gender teacher, who was lovely, and lent me even more books. Then Tom was very late meeting me - we went to the Careers Centre to find out about on-campus jobs, and the TB testing centre to get a prick test. We need to go back tomorrow to have our skin read, but it currently looks like neither of us have TB! Woohoo!

When we got back, we went to the sea, and Tom saw an 'alligator' and thought it was following him (again). I spoke to my mum, which was lovely, then I had a ton of depressing work to do for 3780 (I did all my 3270 reading while waiting for Tom - there is a serious amount to do even with only two classes so far). During this we were doing laundry, and two cool things happened: Tom was invited to go play poker with a load of guys who live here (he lost all our cents - they were all 21 and drinking!), and we found some tiny stray kittens! They are very cute, I am going to go and take pictures of them once Tom goes to class in 15 minutes.

In another news, I am considering purchasing a Kindle once my loan comes through in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment