Friday, September 11, 2009

After being mistaken for an Australian...

Yesterday was good - my Revolutions teacher is getting progressively more insane, and is planning on wearing a beaver hat to class next week. He was asked to write Country Joe's (?) biography but declined as Country Joe is - and I quote - 'too crazy for him' (HA!). He now gives us a signal to cackle loudly when he feels like... I don't know, actually, when he feels like hearing a bunch of young adults cackle like witches, I suppose. Gender is also going well, there were laws in early modern Europe saying that hermaphrodites needed to pick a gender and stick to it, and stories about pubescent girls who jump over ditches and become boys when their bits fall out.

I made a terrible, terrible dinner last night. It was going to be chicken breast and pasta in a tomato-cheese-spinach sauce, and it was going to be just about ready to serve up once Tom got back from his late class. Instead I discovered that the only boneless chicken you can get on O'ahu is chicken thigh, which is bloody difficult to cook, which meant the pasta was overdone, and then Tom came home about an hour early anyway so my plans were ruined! Also the sauce was tasteless (it wasn't the other day, weird) and there wasn't enough of it anyway. On the plus side I did make enough for about two meals, which was good as Tom was starving, but then again it is so gross I think the remains will just sit in the fridge until it's time to put them in the bin.

This morning we went for another early swim, even though it's getting harder to wake up at 6. We went at 7 today and it was nice enough, though the sea is very choppy early in the morning! I had class at 9.40 - my new one - and it was SO much fun, I really enjoyed it. The teacher, like all the others, is a bit mad, and spent a lot of time talking about Days of Our Lives (like in Friends! I didn't realize it was a real show!). She was the one who thought I was Australian, and apologized for being so stupid =) The coursework looks good too, I think I'll be able to do Oscar Wilde for one of the papers. The teacher disclosed that although one of the major issues in her life is that she is in love with a gay guy, it's not THE major issue (riiiight...), and spent a long time discussing a soap opera plot in which sentences such as the following are said: "But I'm sure I'm in love with YOU, not your corneas!"

Club Carnival was after that - a mini Fresher's Fair - during which I joined the Press Club (I get to do volunteer work at a radio station later this fall) and Tom joined the Future Educators Club. He got a keyring and some candy for that and I got nothing =( Also, Tom told the German stall that Germany does not have the best beer in the world, and I got a free book worth $17.95! Furthermore we subsequently got the all-clear for TB, so today has been good =)

In other news, the kittens, and the box in which they were living, have all vanished, which is sad. We are about to head off and go to some of Waikiki's shops in the daytime, for once, or at least while they're actually open. Tom has another evening class tonight, and I think I shall make this; it sounds interesting. No wine, obviously, although we have white grape juice, which might work. I wonder if we could buy cooking wine? Anyway, tomorrow it is the weekend and we are not yet sure what we shall do. Probably - probably - go and sit on a beach somewhere on O'ahu while I work like crazy? Probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment