Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Sorry!

Sorry for not writing in here as much - we've both had a lot of work recently (Tom had one midterm yesterday and another one today), and the laptop issues aren't exactly conducive. We're planning on going to the Aloha Tower & Marketplace tomorrow, after I've spent an hour and a half in the computer lab! I'm really not in the mood anymore, and couldn't do much work today, but I suppose it's about halfway through term. It should all calm down again soon.

Funny, we're halfway through the semester and if we'd stayed at Essex we'd only just have started!

We are currently watching 'Aladdin,' which was Tom's choice =)

I went shopping yesterday while he was revising and bought nearly $80 worth of supplies, mostly vegetables - and tofu! Tom was not pleased after experiencing several Tofu Tuesdays in Germany over the summer, but tough, it is cheap and I fancy experimenting. I was in a Planning mood during class earlier so decided that I am going to use the tofu tomorrow. I'll be marinating (I've never marinated!) it in peanut sauce and using it in a stir-fry. Tonight I roasted vegetables, made a spicy tomato sauce, and mixed it all in with pasta - thank you mum for the recipe idea. I feel like a culinary wizard at the moment, especially as this time two years ago I didn't eat for a week because I was too scared to cook! Thankfully I got enough calories from alcohol to survive, haha. AND I only ate fresh pasta, microwaved soup and microwaved baked potatoes for the rest of the year. It is amazing. Not to blow my own horn or anything.

My Planning mood also resulted in beginning to research an MA in English Literature (concentrated on the nineteenth century) because I am really enjoying lit this year. I suppose an MA from Kings or an MSt from Oxford would make my CV stand out, because I don't think it really will otherwise. We are both getting quite scared about what to do next year, and are just collecting ideas at the moment. Once we get back we will be sending out applications to anything and everything that occurs to us! (Although I may have to get started earlier than that, the Oxford deadline is around January 23rd.)

Also, I have now been mistaken for an Australian four times now, once by an Australian. My friend Eliza thinks it's because I'm blonde and - believe it or not - tanned! I know, me! I can barely believe it myself =) Tom of course looks almost like a native, his shoulders especially are very dark. As the year goes on and it becomes more and more freakish to be wandering around in shorts, we're beginning to dread the temperature when we return. 'Cold' here means that the aircon is on 64F (18C)!

Dear me, Jafar is a very nasty man.

1 comment:

  1. Cess, get the maps out and embarrass Tom in public. Tofu bolognaise was blinkin' lovely, Tomothy. How dare you say different? (nothing can be worse than that awful meal I cooked when Tom's parents were over-sorry again).

    Jafar is a bad man and, as for Gaston, words fail me.

    Mum

    ReplyDelete